21st Century Downtown Plan
Recipient of the 2014 Association of Planners Award for Plan of the Year!On January 22nd, 2013, the Windham Town Council adopted the North Windham 21st Century Downtown Plan. A copy of the adopted plan can be downloaded from this page. Paper copies can also be requested from the Planning Department for a reproduction fee of $5.
The North Windham 21st Century Downtown Master Plan is both a practical and bold vision for the future of North Windham. In summary, the goals of this Master Plan are to:
- Develop a comprehensive vision for transportation improvements in North Windham
- Improve the capacity of Roosevelt Trail
- Introduce street networks in an incremental manner that respond to the existing built context and allow for the growth of new neighborhoods surrounding the commercial core
- Incubate a range of economic development and housing opportunities
- Establish a renewed "sense of place" in Windham's commercial center through Complete Streets, infill development, increased residential densities, vibrant public realms, mobility options and access to open space
- Focus on implementation by identifying short-term and long-term improvements and policies
Making it Happen – Shaping Future Development
April 4, 2017 - 7:00 PM - Town Hall in Council Chambers
Town Council Workshop: General Information about Character Based Codes
April 18, 2017 - 7:00 PM - Town Hall in Council Chambers
Town Council Workshop: Discussion regarding the Character Based Codes that are proposed for North Windham
The Town is working on changes to the zoning code for North Windham, so that future development occurs in ways that are consistent with the vision outlined in the 21st Century Plan. These changes will have an impact on the types of homes and businesses allowed in North Windham, how new buildings will look and where they should be located on the property in relation to roads and streets, the amount and location of parking for each building, and more.
For more information or to sign up for the project e-mail list, please contact Ben Smith at 894-5900, x 6123, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Making it Happen – Engineering Public Improvements
The Preliminary Plans finalized in the Summer of 2016 call for sidewalks, pedestrian improvements at intersections like crosswalks and push to cross buttons, and access management involving the narrowing and closing of some entrances and medians. These improvements are within the public rights-of-way for Roosevelt Trail (Route 302) from River Road to Whites Bridge Road and Trail (Routes 115 and 35) from Basin Road to Collins Pond Road.
The Town is currently working on funding options to complete the Final Design and Construction of the improvements outlined in the Preliminary Plans.
The Preliminary Design Plans (linked below) have been shaped by input received at three public workshops from December 2015 to May 2016 and many individual meetings with property and business owners in North Windham.
Preliminary Design Report
Roosevelt Trail from River Road to Boody's Corner - Sheets 1-7
Roosevelt Trail from Boody's Corner to Whites Bridge Road - Sheets 7-16
Tandberg Trail from Basin Road to Collins Pond - Sheets 17-21