Youth & Family Programs
Toddler & Preschool Programs
- Kiddie Gym: Indoor fun for ages 5 and under from November through April, offered on a drop-in basis at Town Hall Gym
- Creative Kiddie Craft Time: Monthly craft projects for children ages 2-5 and their caregivers, with all supplies provided. Pre-registration required.
After School Programs
- Mad Science: Hands-on science and STEM learning built around a variety of fun themes. Sessions are typically 6 or 8 weeks, pre-registration required.
- After School Yoga: 5- and 6-week sessions focus on learning about yoga, relaxation, mindfulness, and more in a fun, exploratory way.
- Volunteer & Visit the Animal Shelter: Participants will have the opportunity to perform volunteer tasks and visit with animals at the Animal Refuge League, as well as participate in educational programming.
- Summer Track & Field: ages 5-14. Twice-weekly practices, with weekly local and regional meets. Runs June through August.
- Tennis in the Parks: 6-week sessions offered throughout the year. This program focuses on developing the skills to serve, rally and play - so it’s perfect for beginners.
Summer Camps & School Vacations
- Summer Day Camp for Grades 1-8: Join us for 7 weeks of fun at one of our 3 camps. Campers experience a variety of activities including field trips, special events, arts and crafts, sports and games, and more. Registration opens the last Monday in March and runs through late May.
- Early Release Days: In partnership with Be The Influence Coalition, we offer a variety of activities for students in grades 6-8 on days when school is dismissed at 10:00am.
- Vacation Day Outings: Day trips during school vacation with parks and recreation staff. Past destinations include Spare Time Bowling, Seacoast Adventure snow tubing, roller skating, and more.
- Tennis Camp: Week-long day camp held every July in cooperation with our friends at St. Peter's Grand Slam Tennis.
- Paddling Camp: Week-long day camp held every August in cooperation with our friends at Sebago Trails Paddling Company.
Other Youth Enrichment Programs
- North Pole Hotline: The Santa Hotline is an opportunity for preschoolers through 3rd graders to receive a personal phone call from Santa Claus through a special “hotline” connected to the North Pole. Registration runs from early November through early December.
- American Red Cross Babysitting: Designed to give new babysitters the skills necessary to care for children of all ages.
- Summer Enrichment: Programs in addition to day camp will be offered throughout the summer, including one-time excursions or weekly activities. Past enrichment programs have included swimming lessons, horsemanship, and movement workshops.
All Windham Parks & Recreation youth programs may not be listed above. Don't forget to visit our website to see new, updated and current programs.
Due to changes stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic, not all programs are currently offered. Please click here to see a complete list of our current programs.
- Father/Daughter Dance: Held every February for girls in 5th grade and under; tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Mother/Son Night Out: Held every March for boys in 5th grade and under; tickets must be purchased in advance.
- National Night Out: Free family event every August in cooperation with Cumberland County Sheriff's Office and other community partners.
- Trunk or Treat: Annual Halloween celebration for children in 8th grade and younger, with themed trunks hosted by local families, businesses, and community organizations.
- Maine Backyard Campout: Annual summer event encouraging families to "camp out" in their own yard. Camping tips, activity suggestions, and more will be provided to participating families.
- "Find It Here", Windham Geocaching Adventure, Trails Scavenger Hunts: A variety of activities are offered every year to encourage families to explore our parks and trails.
Community Events & Opportunities
- Community Tree Lighting: This community-wide holiday event includes a performance by the WPS 3rd Grade Chorus, light refreshments, and a chance to visit with your favorite North Pole residents, Santa & Mrs. Claus!
- MRPA Discount Tickets: Discounted admission tickets to local attractions such as Funtown Splashtown, York's Wild Animal Kingdom, and Aquaboggan are available for purchase through our office.
- S'mores & Skate Nights: Join us at our outdoor ice skating rinks for an old-fashioned skating party!
- Seasonal Photo Contests: We regularly hold photo contests to celebrate the different seasons here in Maine! Photo entry categories typically include Family, Nature, Pets, and Youth Photographer.
- Ski Programs with Shawnee Peak: Discounted opportunities to ski and ride, typically available for purchase during the month of November.
- Snowshoe Loan Program: Windham Parks and Recreation has men's, women's, and youth sizes of snowshoes that are free to borrow for the day or for a weekend.
All Windham Parks & Recreation family programs may not be listed above. Don't forget to visit our website to see new, updated and current programs.