Open Burning/Burn/Fireworks Permits
How To Obtain A Permit
Burn Permits are only issued for the current calendar day and are valid until midnight.
There are two ways to obtain an open burn or fireworks permit:
- Burning Permit - Maine Open Burning Permits
- Fire works permit - Online Through Windham
- At A Fire Station
- Go to the either the Public Safety Building/Central Fire Station or the North Windham fire station and complete the form there. Issuing hours for Open Burning Permits are after 9 a.m. on days that the department is issuing.
When Can You Burn
Windham issues open burning permits on Low and Moderate Days as long as winds are below 10 mph.
- Low Fire Danger day is the best for open burning.
- Moderate Fire Danger day means it is okay but not the best of days to burn.
- High Fire Danger burning permits are not issued, cooking and warming fires use caution.
- Very High Fire Danger Day is dangerous and the Maine Forest Service advises that no permits should be issued
- EXTREME Fire Danger Day is issued when the forest service advises the governor that no open burning should be allowed because of extreme conditions and the governor issues a proclamation.
Don't Burn Without A Permit
*****ALL FIRES MUST BE COMPLETELY EXTINGUISHED
BEFORE LEAVING THE AREA*****
Failure to extinguish could result in a Law Enforcement Summons